Monday, July 6, 2009

Jan the whipmaker



Last Saturday Eric and his wife pulled up into Mount Perry's caravan park. Eric is a whip maker (dutch: whip=zweep). Beautiful, totally handmade, leather, stock-whips. used by the stockmen to control the cattle. So here is Jan, curious as he is, in a chair next to Eric watching, and listening to his explanations.
Eric asked me if I was a handy man, and on my yes, he told me that he could teach me to make my own whip. You do not get that chance often (or you pay a lot of money for a course), so i quickly replied yes please.
To make a long story short: I am the proud owner of a SELF made stockwhip. Sour fingertips, blisters, and cramps in my entire hands, but I managed.
A cane handle, plaited with 4 strand kangaroo leather, the end finished with a turks head (the knob); on the other end the keeper, connecting the handle to the "thong", the long redhide leather plaited part. To the end of the thong, I connected the "fall" and at the end of that is the "cracker". This is the part that actually makes the cracking sound by crossing the sound barrier.
I had a lot of fun, and I did it all myself.
And yes, the pictures above show MY whip.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Marieprie said...

Ziet er strak uit pa!
Zag ik op de vorige foto nou goed dat de snor weg is? Of is hij al helemaal grijs en dat je hem daarom niet kan zien op de foto? Als de snor weg mocht zijn; of je hem dan weer wilt laten groeien ajb? Dikke poen uit Luik

Anonymous said...

Ik ben zwaar onder de indruk!Mijn complimenten.Al moet ik toegeven dat ik dit technisch verhaal niet exact kan vertalen,maar ik snap wat je bedoelt.Maak er voor mij ook maar een als je je eens verveelt,zo'n ding kan altijd eens van pas komen.Groeten Nan

Anonymous said...

any changes coming ?